View Single Post
Yaowen
Grand Magnate

Member Since Jan 2020
6,475 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 22, 2023 at 07:18 PM

I think I understand what your therapist is getting at, but I don't know if there are many people who could answer the question that was asked of you. Maybe I am wrong.

I've studied philosophy as a philosophy teacher for over 50 years and to be quite honest with you, I would have trouble answering that question. It is kind of vague, don't you think? Specific questions would be, what are your goals, what things are you proud of, what prevents you from sleeping all day, what things seem interesting to you, even if just a little?

I myself have often taken up hobbies or activities initiated by other people for various reasons. That's certainly not the worst things in the world.

I guess I would not be upset that your therapist posed this question but that it might be making you feel bad.

There are various schools of psychology that therapists subscribe too. Some see self-worth as something that one achieves. It is goal oriented. But there are other schools that see self-worth not dependent on achievements but based on one being a unique human being. Self-esteem takes on different meaning depending on what one things human worth is based on.

When people are younger, they have trouble with questions like the one your therapist posed. I have met people from many countries who have trouble with the question, because I have asked them.

People will sometimes tell me that they live for their children, they live for life's pleasures, they live for a cause and some say they have no clue. So I hope you will not be too hard on yourself.

Hopefully I'm not confusing you with all this. Sorry if I am.
Yaowen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Bill3

Thanks for this!
Bill3, Discombobulated, mote.of.soul, MuddyBoots