Thread: Howling cat
View Single Post
Anonymous43372

Default Sep 27, 2023 at 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rechu View Post
Well, she's only gotten worse. The howling routine has been supplemented by scratching the door. She really doesn't seem to get the point that she won't be let in. I'm a light sleeper, so even the scratching wakes me up. I've started taking a two strike approach. At the first scratching event, I go to the door and tell her no. She usually goes up the stairs. If it happens a second time, they have to go to their room.

Maybe she will learn? I don't know. Why does she even want to come into the room if Helmut's there? She's never been the brightest cat. I rescued her because she ran in front of my car and I had to brake to not hit her. It was in in an undeveloped area with no houses or businesses around, so I loaded her into the car.
Cat Dementia: Identify Signs, Best Treatment & More | Purina

Quote:
Can cat dementia be treated?

The brain changes associated with cognitive dysfunction in cats are not reversible, so there is no curative treatment. However, there are plenty of ways to help manage some of the symptoms associated with it.

In some cases, it is also possible to slow down the progression of the illness. As always, your vet will be able to recommend the best way forward, including behavioural therapies and medication suitable for cat dementia.

Offering mental enrichment, keeping their environment familiar and making small adjustments to your senior cat’s diet are small steps you can take right away to benefit your pet.
Symptoms and Treatment for Feline Dementia

Quote:
What Is the Treatment for Cat Dementia?
If you start to notice these changes in your cat, you should take them to the vet to make sure that their behavior isn’t being caused by something else. Since these symptoms overlap with many different illnesses, your vet will only diagnose your cat with CDS if everything else has been ruled out. Even though there is no cure for dementia in cats, it’s important to get a diagnosis to help keep your cat comfortable and care for them the best that you can.

There is no cat dementia treatment but there are ways to help your cat cope. The best thing you can do is to keep your cat’s schedule as consistent as possible to avoid any more confusion or disorientation. You may need to make some small changes around your house to help them avoid having accidents or getting lost. This includes adding extra litter boxes without moving the original one.

Medication. Your vet may prescribe a medication called Anipryl that raises dopamine levels in the brain. This may help to improve their memory. Another option is an anti-anxiety medication. This won’t help with your cat’s memory but it will help them to stay calm when they feel confused or disoriented.

Diet. Researchers believe that a diet high in antioxidants can help improve memory and brain function. Try to incorporate essential fatty acids and foods that don’t have free radicals to help stop your cat’s brain from degenerating further.

Comfort. Give your cat plenty of attention. Stroke or pet them if they will tolerate it and let them know you’re there. If your cat can’t groom themselves anymore, brush and keep them clean. Since your cat may be resting more, provide them with soft areas with pillows or blankets so they can get comfy.
What Are Signs of Dementia in Cats? | ASPCA Pet Health Insurance

Quote:
Cat Dementia Treatment
Even though there is currently no cure for feline dementia, many treatment options are available that can help slow your cat’s cognitive decline. Some recommended options include:

Change their diet. Even if your cat is not diagnosed with dementia, it is often beneficial for older cats to have their food switched over to a formula made specifically for senior cats. Before changing their food, talk with your veterinarian about recommended brands, meal sizes, and at what age you should make this switch. You may also want to inquire about some helpful tips for switching a cat’s food. Many felines can be persnickety about diet changes.

Provide a stimulating environment. Even as your cat gets older, providing them with an exciting environment and mental stimulation is as important as ever. Try moving their cat tower or bed close to a window so that they can observe the outside world.

Some cat parents have even moved their bird feeders close to a window for prime viewing opportunities. You can also try switching out your cat’s toys for different ones every few months.

Encourage physical exercise. Our senior pets may move slower than they once used to but giving them opportunities to be physically active is crucial to keeping them healthy. Stopping exercise altogether can actually age our pals even faster. Just keep a closer eye on where your cat’s limit is and be careful that they don’t accidentally overdo it, especially if they are arthritic or stiffer in their older age.

Continue playing. Going hand in hand with providing your cat plenty of exercise is still giving them opportunities to play. To keep them interested, switch out toys every few months or buy them a type of toy they’ve never had before. There are additionally great tutorials online that can teach you how to make homemade toys and games that can provide your cat with mental and physical stimulation.

Create a routine. You and your feline friend may already have a daily routine, but if you don’t, creating a consistent schedule for your older cat can be quite beneficial. This can include waking up and going to bed at similar times each day—dementia can affect a cat’s sleeping schedule. Creating a routine can also include scheduling meals, playtime, and exercise at consistent times each day. Having a predictable daily routine can help lower your cat’s stress and anxiety levels.

Start supplements. You can begin giving your cat supplements even before they are given a dementia diagnosis—and continue supplements even if your cat never has dementia. If you believe that these added daily nutrients could be a smart choice for your cat, talk with your veterinarian about recommendations.

Treatment for a cat with cognitive dysfunction syndrome will typically continue for the rest of their life, though the exact treatment they receive can vary based on their age and their symptoms. With consistent treatment, though, you can make a world of difference, for the better, for your pal.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote