Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since May 2013
22.8k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 29, 2023 at 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhuman View Post
I am starting to question my mental health issues. I think I developed mental health issues due to trauma. i never was given a psych med until I was in my 20's. I never started taking them consistently until I was in my 30's. I struggled with severe anxiety on and off most of my life. I have had brief psychotic episodes due to stress; but nothing that ever fit a diagnosis like schizophrenia or bipolar. I was told I must be on drugs to act like I had. I don't actually have a drug or alcohol problem. Then they said I was bipolar II but that made no sense. It was like the doctor just made up something to diagnose me with.

I did get relabelled with bipolar, but it was often relayed to me as a "muddy" diagnosis, and not actually clear that I had it. This led to a lot of confusion by my family doctors and other doctors who happened upon my records. I did develop sleep issues which were thought to be a symptom of bipolar. It turns out it really was just insomnia, and sleep issues developing possibly due to a thyroid problem. I suffer from grade A insomnia sometimes. Seroquel gave me sleep, but going off Seroquel took away my sleep.

I was told I was not bipolar and given mirtazipine for sleep which sort of helps.

Now that I had been diagnosed with Graves Disease, i am wanting to come off some of the medication, and try to get my body into it's own homeostasis. I wonder how much my thyroid dysfunction as played an actual role in my mental health issues recently.
Thyroid issues definitely cause psychosis they should have checked that day one.

Hugs from:
avlady, Stillhuman

Thanks for this!
MuddyBoots