View Single Post
Samicat
Veteran Member

Member Since Jan 2023
1,590 hugs
given
Default Sep 30, 2023 at 04:00 AM

I recently found the ancient philosophy of Stoicism and it has helped me tremendously with peace of mind. It has many similarities to Buddhism but I know of no historical connection between the two. However, one thing I appreciate most about Stoicism is that it's not a religion and therefore there are no required supernatural beliefs. That also means that anyone of any (or no) religious affiliation can practice it.

One idea that has alleviated much of my depression and anxiety is that you should not base your identity or self-worth on others and how they treat you (or have treated you). Stoics were quite realistic about the fact that many humans can be jealous, petty, vindictive and cruel. Stoicism is about adhering to certain virtues, but the only measure of your adherence to these is you yourself. Also, you don't judge others. And you don't pursue "happiness" or pleasure, but mental peace and serenity.

Another thing that has helped me is the idea to detach yourself not just to criticism from others, but from praise. To silence the ego. Hard work is its own reward and the outcome of "success" or "failure" is unimportant. This obviously takes a lot of pressure away.

I realized tonight that for the first time in many years I am not anxious or depressed. If the purpose of life is not success or happiness but to learn and grow and try to live with integrity, this is much more meaningful to me. And easier to achieve each day.
Samicat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Bill3, Fuzzybear, shovelhead, TheGal

Thanks for this!
Bill3, DeeeSchmeee68, Discombobulated, FooZe, shovelhead, SpaghettiLegs, TheGal