Wanderer of Distant Stars

Member Since May 2012
9,101 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 02, 2023 at 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exoskeleton View Post
Thank you!!! I'm so glad Lithium has helped you so much. But I'm sorry that it may have been a contributing factor to your thyroidectomy. I definitely worry a lot about long term damage to my kidneys and thyroid. I'm hoping I can stay on a low dose and that may lower the risk of future health problems. But obviously I need to make sure I'm taking enough for there to be a therapeutic benefit.

I started with 150 mg and I felt an improvement in my mood really quickly. Like after just a couple of days. I went up to 300 mg and I've been at that dose for about 2 weeks. I definitely feel less depressed and more stable. But I've had some bad days too over the past 2 weeks, so it's not like a total gamechanger for me. I probably need to increase my dose but I'm definitely struggling a bit with the side effects. At last check my blood level was only 0.2. But I guess it's not so much the level that matters, it's whether or not you feel better. And at 0.2 I do feel better, but would like to go up a bit higher if possible!

Thanks for sharing your experience!
No problem! I mean if you're feeling better that's a really good thing, right? I would ask questions to your primary care and pdoc to find out exactly what the harms and risks are of long-term Lithium use. Everyone is different of course, but my thyroidectomy came from a tumor on my neck I had for 20 years that was my thyroid but turned into something else. I am not sure if the Lithium contributed to its growth or not.

Like I said I am on 300mg twice a day and that's low compared to the average. I forgot my last Lithium level, but it wasn't high. To be honest all these meds that are supposed to help us impact our physical health in one-way or another so it's a matter of finding out what works or the lesser of two evils.