View Single Post
Anonymous43372

Default Oct 12, 2023 at 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine1966 View Post
Not sure why you can’t opt out of 401k. Never heard of it. Why can’t they let people opt out? Is it legal to make it mandatory? Do they match your contributions? How much?

I’d certainly not take option 3. I’d not do temp jobs. If I have other options .

Is option 1 offering good benefits? Health care? Lower pay but better benefits might be a good option. What’s monthly premiums and deductibles at both jobs 1 and 2?
I agree with your assessment that Job #3 would be a waste of my time, talent, and intelligence. Knowing that I applied for the admin role posting on Indeed and yet my recruiter submitted me as a temp to the same role. They won't hire me permanently if they can keep me as a temp, until they hire someone else. I've been on that rollercoaster too many times to count and it's wearing on my soul. I HATE being a temp job that I applied for the full-time position for, knowing that they rejected my full-time application yet are ok with me as their temp istead and then they hire someone else. Horrible.

In my state, you can't opt out of 401K's. I've tried. I tried to end my 401K when I stopped substitute teaching and couldn't. I still can't end it. It's a retirement 401K so they REFUSE to let me end that 401K although I have proof that I don't work for any district as a substitute teacher. It's infuriating. I have another 401K from a previous teaching job that ended in 2005 that I can't get the funds for, either since the human resources person at the community college left their role and I don't have the access code etc. or the name of the company that has that 401K either.

I hate 401Ks b/c I'm in my 50s so all it will do is take a huge CHUNK of money every month out of my paycheck that I need, and wont' be able to earn any interest on. If I were in my 20s and had a 401K for 30 years that would be different. 401K's are a money scam in my opinion. I can't retire on pennies. I'll be on public assistance for the rest of my life anyway.

Job #1 and Job #2's insurance plans are another money evil. As a single person, I will likely pay $7-10K over the year for the 80/20 coverage, out of my bi-monthly paychecks. I'll never be able to quit rideshare driving with a salary under $50K for that reason.

So, if I take Job #1, I will be more financially poor than I am now being on state and county healthcare and food support. That $40K salary with the 401K that I can't opt out of since its a retirement fund, and the company's health insurance plan that I also can't refuse (my $40K will exceed income guidelines for the state and county healthcare and food support programs, so I'll lose those two supports), will make my finances worse, esp. now that I have student loans, a car payment, car insurance, rent, utilities, food, gas, kitten food/litter expense and kitten healthcare (free clinics for the time being) not to mention the cost of transportation to/from that job since its located downtown: bus pass is $96 a year and a car parking lot permit is $300 a month.

While it may offer a better career path on the surface, I would be a fool to accept that lowball offer of $40K for Job #1.

Job #2 may be a a boring job with no career path, but the pay is better. I still face the same dilemma though; either $96/year bus pass or $300/month car parking lot permit, rent, car payment, car insurance, utilities, food, gas, kittens food/litter and kitten healthcare, student loan repayment. Deduct the retirement 401K, the monthly health insurance plan premium, and my life is financially ruined despite the $48K salary.

To keep my head about water, I either continue temping and receive state and county food and healthcare benefits for free, or I only accept job offers of $50K minimum.

It's so painful but that's something I have to address. I rideshare drive to make ends meet without the salary, while I temp. After I spend a tank of gas to fill up on gas every day, I rideshare drive 6-8 hours and net less than $180 (deducting the cost of what I spent to fill up my gas tank).

So, while I could technically rideshare drive every weekend and collectively at 12 months of doing that, have saved close to $11K, it's still wear and tear on my car. I put 20K miles on my car since July rideshare driving.

So, a $50K salary is what would help me. If I'm being financially wise. I don't qualify for loans either (I have student loan debt and a very low credit score). I tried applying for a loan and was rejected. So that option is out.

There are gov't grants I can apply for, but each of those has their own "boxes" that I'd need to "fit." And I don't.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
FloatThruThis