Exoskeleton
Grand Member

Member Since Sep 2023
266 hugs
given
Default Oct 12, 2023 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discombobulated View Post
Hi, I don’t have SVT but I do take a beta blocker daily for migraine prevention (propranolol 80mg SR) and I previously had a low resting heart rate, I was concerned a bit too about my HR going too low but I was getting so many severe migraines I was desperate for them to stop.

After 9 months on them my resting HR did come down on them, but no symptoms like dizziness or fainting, so my resting HR is typically in the 40s rather than 50s now. Exercising HR can’t get to the levels it previously did however and this has impacted on exercise performance I think, I don’t have the stamina I did. Anyhow that’s my experience with beta blockers FWIW, my bp is lower normal these days too btw.

Tbh the only thing that I don’t like about my beta blocker is the slight reduction in exercise stamina but I’m being picky really because I can still exercise well enough, and also a little weight gain which could also be my age. I have known people get other side effects with beta blockers though so I think I’m fairly lucky.

Hope this has given you a bit more info anyhow although realise beta blockers are varying types and also everyone is different.

That is really good to know. Thank you! How is your blood pressure? My blood pressure is typically around 96/64. Anything blow 90/60 is considered low and can cause problems like fainting etc. So I definitely wouldn't want my blood pressure to get too much lower. I already make sure to eat extra salt whenever I can. I guess compression stockings are another possibility.

Anyhow, that's really good to know that the beta blocker didn't make your heart rate drop too much lower. I think the 40s is fine.

I definitely worry about fatigue and I've heard a lot of people experience this side effect on beta blockers. That would be a deal breaker for me. The depression already makes it hard to motivate myself to do things and I really need medications that are energizing, not sedating (even though I have horrible anxiety, so you'd think I'd do well on sedating meds, but I hate them!)

I'm going to reach out to the cardiologist again. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and I'm so glad the beta blocker helps you!
Exoskeleton is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Discombobulated, unaluna

Thanks for this!
Discombobulated