View Single Post
Anonymous43372

Default Oct 19, 2023 at 10:35 AM

So, I received 2 legitimate job offers today. Below are the pros and cons. I'm open to feedback if anyone wants to chime in what they think seems like a better deal.

Job offer #1:

Salary: $20/hr = $38,400
Hours: 40 - no overtime
Office: 5 people
Role: front desk
Offer letter: none; verbally offered me the job and told me to start on Monday
Job growth: was told there would be a .30 pay raise after a month with possible "growth" based on job performance.
Public reviews: mostly positive

Job offer #2:

Salary: $21/hr = $40,320
Location: downtown - light rail pass or parking space in ramp
Hours: 40 - unspecified overtime was mentioned in interview
Office: 20 people
Role: admin assistant supporting 2 people
Offer letter: hiring manager called me today to confirm my email and emailed me the offer letter
Job growth: was told there may be "possible" job growth but couldn't guarantee.
Public reviews: mix of 50/50 positive and negative

I emailed the hiring manager of Job #1 to ask for an official offer letter (I let her know that I received an offer letter from Job #2). I explained that while I'd love to work for their company, I want to be 100% confident with my final choice and didn't feel comfortable just starting on Monday next week, without a clue as to the compensation, healthcare, etc. that was verbally summarized but not put into print.

While Job #2 seems like the obvious choice based on salary, I'm not crazy about the thought of working overtime. Job #1, the woman who interviewed me mentioned, that "we're like a family here" which I've always interpreted to be a red flag b/c it indiciates a lack of professional boundaries between workand home.

So, the question is, pending Job #1's response to my request for an official offer letter...do I settle for Job #1 based on the following:

1) no overtime
2) low salary
3) free parking since its in a residential neighborhood
4) no human resources person

Or, do I take Job #2's offer based on the following:

1) $1+ is equal to a $1,920 difference (deduct $150 a month for parking or $83 a month: I found a parking ramp across the street from Job #2 plus the light rail stops across the street from Job #2; so that means $1,770
2) human resources person on site
3) paid parking required
4) some overtime not yet specified that would not be paid extra for

Expenses (estimated per a free tax calculator):

Job #1 = Take home after taxes is $2,570 = $30,840/salary

Job #2 = Take home after taxes is $2,688 = $32,256/salary

With either job offer so low, I'll have to continue to rideshare drive to make ends meet.

Ideally, I'd like an admin job that pays at least $45K. Both are terrible salary-wise yet are full-time jobs. Meanwhile, I dont have another temp job lined up yet. So I have to rideshare drive to make ends meet.

I could use people's opinions.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Discombobulated

Thanks for this!
BipolarNomad