eskielover
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Oct 2004
14.7k hugs
given
Default Oct 20, 2023 at 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardlady View Post
We are not required to have insurance on pets though I've heard of some areas that require liability insurance for certain breeds of dogs.

No legal requirement about chipping either.

Cats and dogs are required to have annual rabies shots, then be registered with the county. The rabies shot makes sense for pets that go outside. The registration is a way to collect money as far as I'm concerned. For my cats that never leave the house I don't get them rabies vaccines. They never leave the house so they are never going to be exposed.

There are low cost spay/neuter clinics. The county shelter will spay/neuter cats and dogs for free.

Any pet adopted from the shelter is spayed or neutered, tested for heartworms (and treated if positive or started on preventative if negative), tested for internal parasites and treated if necessary, given all shots and microchipped. I got Hazel for free because I'm a senior. Regular adoption fee is like $20.
Same here in Ky. So many just show up on our farms around here. Gabe was too young & small to be neutered so waited until he was big enough. I adopted Bella kitty from my vet & she was all checked out & vaccinated. Sophie doggie I got from the shelter. They had all her vet records from the lady who didn't want her any more. Would have to see if they microchipped her or not. No adoption fee for her but I gave them a good donation & we were all so thankful they didn't put her down that weekend cause I had her until I could get in to do the formal adoption.

Cote my crazy little puppy came from the breeder with 1 month vet insurance which I renewed after I got him home. Even with deworming at his breeder, I gave him the next dose a month later & I have never seen a dog with so many round worms. Wasn't sure if it was an ongoing thing or an immune issue so I have insurance on him till I know everything is ok. Going to make an appointment for him to have a check up & final shots. Around here, the raccoons get canine distemper so it is not just other dogs to be concerned about. None of my fur babies go outside without me & Bella kitty has never been outside since I got her & she has no interest. Gabe loves to sneek out the door but stays right around the front porch or around where I am working. After losing BK (barn kitty) to a coyote last year when I was sick, I make sure Gabe is inside at night & he wants to be inside.

My daughter had insurance on her soulmate doggie she lost last thanksgiving with heart issues. I paid for all the vet bills the insurance didn't cover. It still added up & took me 6 months to get them paid off using Care Credit (no interest). I have paid more vet bills in the last 5 years....I could have mor than paid for the foundation work needed on my garage. But paying for that many animals insurance premiums would have cost too much also. Works ok for one but not when you have a house full.

Leo's favorite place was in the passenger seat of my truck. We went everywhere together like this.
Leo my soulmate will live in my heart FOREVER Nov 1, 2002 - Dec 16, 2018
eskielover is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
AzulOscuro, Travelinglady

Thanks for this!
AzulOscuro, Travelinglady