Grand Magnate

Member Since Nov 2014
1,758 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 20, 2023 at 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seesaw View Post
Cesar Milan has no credentials to speak of and bases his training off of since disproven wolf alpha theories. Most of his training reverts right back to where it was or worse.

I am a professional dog trainer, and every single animal related association has disavowed Milan's "techniques" (which are basically just abuse). He was banned from training in Germany for his techniques.

It's not uncommon for people to see Milan and recommend him, because his training style was flashy and sexy and they put him on TV. It's hard not to see this "quick fix" and think it actually works. Real behavior change takes time.

For those who are interested in building relationships with their dogs in a positive manner that isn't abusive, check out Susan Garrett, Karen Pryor, Ian Dunbar.

Books like Click to Calm and Calm Unleashed are really great for addressing reactivity and other problem behaviors in humane, ethical ways that get results.
Interesting! I’m not a professional at this topic so my opinion has less basement than yours.
I didn’t know all these changes in dogs’ behaviours Cesar Millan promoted had no continuation in time.

I loved the part in which he shows how a dog sees the world. I take it this part. For me it was a way to know how to respect dogs’ nature.

I don’t see Cesar’s techniques as abusive. Of course, what I only see is what’s shown on his videos.

Mankind is complex: Make deserts blossom and lakes die. ( GIL SCOTT-HERSON)
AzulOscuro is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Travelinglady