Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Oct 2004
14.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 20, 2023 at 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seesaw View Post
Cesar Milan has no credentials to speak of and bases his training off of since disproven wolf alpha theories. Most of his training reverts right back to where it was or worse.

I am a professional dog trainer, and every single animal related association has disavowed Milan's "techniques" (which are basically just abuse). He was banned from training in Germany for his techniques.

It's not uncommon for people to see Milan and recommend him, because his training style was flashy and sexy and they put him on TV. It's hard not to see this "quick fix" and think it actually works. Real behavior change takes time.

For those who are interested in building relationships with their dogs in a positive manner that isn't abusive, check out Susan Garrett, Karen Pryor, Ian Dunbar.

Books like Click to Calm and Calm Unleashed are really great for addressing reactivity and other problem behaviors in humane, ethical ways that get results.
Exactly why I love training my dogs at a personal level. I refuse to break their spirit or personality. I have found the herding nipping is actually controlled in his own mind now even at only 5 months old. He used to just carried away & it was his way of playing. Now if he connects in a nip on me he immediately stops unless he has just been wresteling with Sophie. His puppy mind doesn't switch gears that quickly. I want training where I create a bonding connection which is done with kindness & love. Cote is the first puppy I have actually worked this closely with because I am now in a place where I can & life frustrations like I had are in the past. Probably his Aussie Shepherd breed but I have never had such an easy puppy to train almost without thinking, just indicating consistently what I want him to do & just a quick reminder when he gets into something & praise when he stops. He is a wonderful companion & perfect off leash at 5 months.

Lol....my black lab I adopted at 3 1/2 years old is wonderful on leash & taught Cote to sit for his food at 8 weeks old by example HOWEVER off leash she is down the road like a "Bat outta #@[[" until I drive my truck to get her & she loves to go for rides but she will not "come" when called outside.

Leo's favorite place was in the passenger seat of my truck. We went everywhere together like this.
Leo my soulmate will live in my heart FOREVER Nov 1, 2002 - Dec 16, 2018
eskielover is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Travelinglady

Thanks for this!
AzulOscuro