seesaw
Human

Member Since Apr 2014
1,276 hugs
given
Default Oct 20, 2023 at 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskielover View Post

Exactly why I love training my dogs at a personal level. I refuse to break their spirit or personality. I have found the herding nipping is actually controlled in his own mind now even at only 5 months old. He used to just carried away & it was his way of playing. Now if he connects in a nip on me he immediately stops unless he has just been wresteling with Sophie. His puppy mind doesn't switch gears that quickly. I want training where I create a bonding connection which is done with kindness & love. Cote is the first puppy I have actually worked this closely with because I am now in a place where I can & life frustrations like I had are in the past. Probably his Aussie Shepherd breed but I have never had such an easy puppy to train almost without thinking, just indicating consistently what I want him to do & just a quick reminder when he gets into something & praise when he stops. He is a wonderful companion & perfect off leash at 5 months.

Lol....my black lab I adopted at 3 1/2 years old is wonderful on leash & taught Cote to sit for his food at 8 weeks old by example HOWEVER off leash she is down the road like a "Bat outta #@[[" until I drive my truck to get her & she loves to go for rides but she will not "come" when called outside.
Good training should amplify the parts of his personality you love, not dampen them. My dogs are known for their personalities, lol, and they have loads of training.

Herding nipping can definitely be challenging but there are good, humane ways to deal with it. Just like all dogs learn bite inhibition, herders have to learn not to nip.

Yeah, leashes can be super hard for dogs that are used to roaming. So can recall. I've been working on recall with Algo Mas for the last year and it's good, and I'm getting some recall off squirrels but sometimes those squirrels are too much. Other distractions, no problem.

I always say it's important to figure out what your goals are for your dog and just work on that. Not every dog needs to be perfect on leash or have a 3 minute stay or perfect obedience. The dog needs to have whatever helps them fit in your life, that's all.

I'm working with a couple right now who are getting ready to have a baby and they just want to walk their golden with the stroller. So we are working on loose leash walking and calm on leash behavior. Nothing fancy.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
eskielover

Thanks for this!
AzulOscuro, eskielover, Travelinglady