Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Oct 2004
14.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 20, 2023 at 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seesaw View Post
Good training should amplify the parts of his personality you love, not dampen them. My dogs are known for their personalities, lol, and they have loads of training.

Herding nipping can definitely be challenging but there are good, humane ways to deal with it. Just like all dogs learn bite inhibition, herders have to learn not to nip.

Yeah, leashes can be super hard for dogs that are used to roaming. So can recall. I've been working on recall with Algo Mas for the last year and it's good, and I'm getting some recall off squirrels but sometimes those squirrels are too much. Other distractions, no problem.

I always say it's important to figure out what your goals are for your dog and just work on that. Not every dog needs to be perfect on leash or have a 3 minute stay or perfect obedience. The dog needs to have whatever helps them fit in your life, that's all.

I'm working with a couple right now who are getting ready to have a baby and they just want to walk their golden with the stroller. So we are working on loose leash walking and calm on leash behavior. Nothing fancy.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Had to laugh at Cote's first encounter with cows the other day.....at my fence line with the neighbors cows. He got so excited however his barking brought them ALL closer to the fence to see what the noise was & he wasn't so sure about that. He also has some amazing "afterburner" speed so he may be interested in agility. I will introduce him to some of those things he is good at just to see if he has any interest. He sure enjoys walking /running around my farm with me. He loves finding sticks & playing keep away from me.

As for the nipping I have a squirt bottle filled with white vinegar. It has taken awhile but he may nip bit then stops himself unless that brain switch turned off. He does those same herding moves when playing with Sophie so I recognize them when he tries it with me & stop him immediately. Lol....the squirt bottle of vinegar works great against counter surfing which he thinks is fun now he is big enough to see everything & be able to reach it too. The squirt bottle works from across the room too so the correction can be immediate

Leo's favorite place was in the passenger seat of my truck. We went everywhere together like this.
Leo my soulmate will live in my heart FOREVER Nov 1, 2002 - Dec 16, 2018
eskielover is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Travelinglady

Thanks for this!
AzulOscuro