Human

Member Since Apr 2014
1,275 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 20, 2023 at 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskielover View Post

Had to laugh at Cote's first encounter with cows the other day.....at my fence line with the neighbors cows. He got so excited however his barking brought them ALL closer to the fence to see what the noise was & he wasn't so sure about that. He also has some amazing "afterburner" speed so he may be interested in agility. I will introduce him to some of those things he is good at just to see if he has any interest. He sure enjoys walking /running around my farm with me. He loves finding sticks & playing keep away from me.

As for the nipping I have a squirt bottle filled with white vinegar. It has taken awhile but he may nip bit then stops himself unless that brain switch turned off. He does those same herding moves when playing with Sophie so I recognize them when he tries it with me & stop him immediately. Lol....the squirt bottle of vinegar works great against counter surfing which he thinks is fun now he is big enough to see everything & be able to reach it too. The squirt bottle works from across the room too so the correction can be immediate
I would be very careful with this method because youre using an aversive (positive punishment) that can potentially hurt the fog. Using the vinegar and water and spraying it in the face can cause pain and damage to the dog's eyes.

Positive punishment only temporarily suppresses behavior, it doesn't change it long term and doesnt address the root cause. Meaning any time you aren't around to enforce the correction, the dog will take the opportunity to countersurf.

Susan Garrett has a game called It's Yer Choice (IYC) that is much better for teaching the kind of impulse control you're looking for.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
AzulOscuro, eskielover, Travelinglady