Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Oct 2004
14.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 21, 2023 at 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seesaw View Post
I would be very careful with this method because youre using an aversive (positive punishment) that can potentially hurt the fog. Using the vinegar and water and spraying it in the face can cause pain and damage to the dog's eyes.

Positive punishment only temporarily suppresses behavior, it doesn't change it long term and doesnt address the root cause. Meaning any time you aren't around to enforce the correction, the dog will take the opportunity to countersurf.

Susan Garrett has a game called It's Yer Choice (IYC) that is much better for teaching the kind of impulse control you're looking for.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Watched one of her videos on this. It was more about food. Cote is counter surfing for things he can play with even though he has many toys to play with. His counter surfing isn't about food. Ugh....kitchen scissors were not a toy. My house is not able to be dog proofed right now though I do have some rooms gated off. I kept putting things up higher but as he grew he just kept getting into things up higher & higher. His counter surfing is not about food it is just about what can I pull down to play with

Leo's favorite place was in the passenger seat of my truck. We went everywhere together like this.
Leo my soulmate will live in my heart FOREVER Nov 1, 2002 - Dec 16, 2018
eskielover is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
AzulOscuro

Thanks for this!
Travelinglady