Human

Member Since Apr 2014
1,272 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 22, 2023 at 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzulOscuro View Post
César Millan is super famous here in Spain. He even recorded a TV serial here to encourage people to adopt dogs.

All with all this wage of popularity, maybe it’s only my feeling but I saw doggies’ owners reacted in the street negatively to their doggies behaviours.

Some seemed embarrassed, others overreacted. I guess because they didn’t see themselves as the leader of the pack.

There were comic gags on TV that questioned his overacting.
This is all just conversation, no hate or malice, just educating.

Humans are not the leaders of the pack. Domesticated dogs do not live in packs, and pack theory, which was dominance theory has been debunked. No one is the leader of a pack of domesticated dogs. That's the problem with Milan: his foundation is spreading misinformation and it's sexy misinformation. I mean, who wouldn't want to be the "pack leader"?

The truth is that he just had no understanding of actual dog behavior as studied by real animal scientists. Dogs aren't misbehaving because they aren't following the "pack leader". Dogs don't know they are misbehaving. Dogs do dog things until we teach them how we want them to behave in our human homes.

Take Eskie's pup, Cote. He doesn't know that taking the scissors is wrong. He just thinks it's a toy, and puppies explore the world with their mouths. So Eskie has to teach him that he's only allowed to have his toys, the ones she actually gives him.

Dogs learn and do very well when they are trained with clear criteria and expectations and their humans are consistent with them. But my dog doesn't think I'm their pack leader. Do I provide leadership to my dog? Yes, by taking responsibility for them and training them and caring for them, etc. But I'm still not a dog, not a pack leader, etc.

There is a lot of nuance in animal behavior theory and it's a faulty foundation to base dog behavior off of wolf behavior (debunked theories on wolf behavior at that) because dogs and wolves, while wolves are ancestors, dogs have developed distinctly enough along domestication that their behavior is entirely different than wolves.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
eskielover, Travelinglady

Thanks for this!
AzulOscuro, eskielover, Travelinglady