Member Since Mar 2020
118 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 22, 2023 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delightful View Post
-snip-
My family wan't particularly superstitious, but my mom used to dry-spit into the and say some like "So we don't jinx it by looking at it." (doesn't translate well.) My background is Russian, but I think the evil eye is in that culture as well. Anyway, it got me thinking. It seems as if as soon as something good happens, something messes it up. I don't consciously believe that, but geeze!
I get the gist of that saying, "Don't jinx it by looking at it." When my washing machine broke during the pandemic, the cheapest replacements were $600+ and two week's delivery. Then I saw one that was "gently used" for $300. I didn't hesitate -- I just bought it and got it in two days. It was my first High Efficiency washer, and I got awful results. I could've "looked at it" and decided that it was lemon and returned it. But no. Eventually I learned how to tweak the settings and get it to perform well (less efficiently).

BTW, when it was delivered, the back door had to be removed, and the guy smashed the frosted globe from a nearby overhead light. He was very apologetic and said to send a bill for it's replacement. But I already had a spare because I bought one for another light that didn't fit. So I didn't care.

My wife does believe that when something good happens, something bad must follow. It was her mother's philosophy, too, and my wife adopted it even though she despises her mother. Also, bad things come in threes. I try to reject all negative belief systems that I'm aware of -- they serve no good.

Hope you and Revu2 are doing very well!