Magnate

Member Since Jun 2016
8,141 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 23, 2023 at 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exoskeleton View Post
I know the feeling too. And I think this is a really valid concern. I get it that therapy often involves working through extremely difficult emotional issues. But if you routinely cry during your appointment and it effects your whole day negatively, then I think that is a sign that something needs to change. I've definitely been there. I would feel wiped out after major crying sessions in therapy and, like you say here, I don't even think all of those things needed to be brought up and re-hashed.

Do you think this is something you could actually discuss with your therapist? I kind of wish I had done that. I'm working with a different therapist now and I haven't had that experience. But if it happens to me again (that I keep crying in therapy and feel horrible afterwards) then I will definitely say something to the therapist next time.

I think it also depends what type of therapy you're having. In my experience "Talk Therapy" is where this problem has tended to arise. I personally seem to do better if we focus more on problems I'm having now in the present and try and find ways to help me manage them better or make changes or whatever. Because the reality is, that I can't change the painful experiences I had as a child (or even last week). What I need are tools to help me cope better with emotional triggers now in the present. At a certain point, it is no longer helpful to me to keep going over things that happened 40+ years ago.

I really hope you find a resolution to this!
Thank you. She is a CBT therapist. I think she's good at what she does, and she does not intentionally bring up anything triggering. But I feel somehow I get on stuff and things come out that I do not even spend time thinking much about. Then before I know it, I'm in tears. I thought I was getting better, but I think I've hit a point where I might be healthier without it, if that makes any sense. I like therapy and find it helpful, but I think there's a time and a place for me, and I'm questioning whether this is really the right time. However, I'm afraid of quitting therapy now, regretting it, and then feeling like need it.
xRavenx is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Exoskeleton