Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 25, 2023 at 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrademoomoo View Post
The location of the dream seems relevant. What does a lift (translation: elevator) represent? Going up and down, different floors, enclosed, access, mechanical (steady, una), shared space. A room but not a room, a room which moves.

Gestalt has a way of interpreting dreams (probably other modalities too) which says that you should think of every element of the dream as being a representation of you or parts of you. So, in this dream you would be represented by yourself, Heather, the beard, the lift, even Dr T. And you should imagine yourself as each of these elements and describe yourself. So as Heather, it might be, "I am special and chosen. I represent school/youth". The beard might say, "I am not wanted. Only certain people appreciate me. I am hairy (!) and I am touched". And so on. Each of these things say something about you. It's an interesting exercise I think. And no doubt a load of hokum, but there we are.

Oh that's very interesting--thanks for sharing (I don't know much about Gestalt therapy). Lol to "I am hairy." (I mean, I do need a haircut!)

I've also read that we should pay attention not so much to the events in dreams, but to the emotions we're feeling.