Legendary

Member Since Mar 2011
5,464 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 01, 2023 at 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tart Cherry Jam View Post
Since you are still on the job, you might be able to create a post hoc paper trail by initiating written correspondence with your manager and also possibly HR, telling them how much you liked the job substantively but could not tolerate the demands that had nothing to do with the job function and that ran against your personality and mental health dx which is a recognized disability. You might tell them that post hoc you wish you had asked for a formal accommodation but thought that it was absurd to call an accommodation your desire to be left alone and to focus on the job for which you were hired and have been paid. Reiterate that you performed the job substantively very well, enjoyed it, and got no negative reviews, and would have gladly stayed on the job had it not been for unreasonable demands.

Writing this might elicit disclosure from the employer that would later bolster your case which now is lacking in written evidence. But the employer might also become tightlipped if they realize that you are collecting written evidence against them.

I would talk to an attorney about this right now. Ask for an urgent free consult, tell the attorney that you are still on the job and can still communicate with the employer, creating a paper trail. You will be uncomfortable doing all of that, talking to an attorney, communicating with the employer, but it is in your best interest to proceed. As you see, your unemployment benefits eligibility is at stake in addition to the possibility of a monetary recovery from the former employer.
Interesting ideas. Good advice.

I look back at some times in my life when I became kind of a victim of circumstances that I might have better objected to and gotten some leverage over. I now see where I failed to pre-emptively lessen the power of persons who were against me by not creating a paper trail of formal memos submitted to appropriate parties. I thought I was being nice, but I was leaving myself vulnerable. I had thought that memos might have made me seem overly confrontational or petty. I didn't want to further fuel notions that I was not a congenial team member. It was not a good strategy. Sometimes you have to formally call a thing out early, or it snowballs and overwhelms you. I like the idea that some of that can be done retroactively. I like the idea that, in forcing a response to your submitted letters or memos, you may unsettle the belief of others that you can be easily disposed of. The post above is worth thinking about.
Rose76 is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Tart Cherry Jam