View Single Post
divine1966
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2014
1,291 hugs
given
Default Nov 04, 2023 at 12:06 PM

I literally consistently work with counselors/coaches/social worker employed by state funded vocational services for people with disabilities/illnesses etc I am meeting with one on Monday and then the other one for different age category a week from then.

They will listen to clients’ needs and wants such as “I don’t want more training, I want a job. Or I am not ready to work, I want to learn more pre-employment skills or I want to go to school”. They also will listen to your needs such as “I need instructions given to me in writing. Not verbally. I need a break every 2 hours. I need transportation help or a job in a walking distance because I cannot drive due to my disability”. Etc etc If coaches don’t listen to that, they are bad counselors. They have supervisors and it’s time to complain, and it happens quite a bit.

But they have no time or capacity to listen about feelings or issues not related to employment. No way no how.

They are also required to produce some results. They aren’t going to keep a job if they spend time on clients’ feelings. Does it mean you have no rights to share your feelings with people? Of course not. You should be able to. Peer support, meetup, friendly neighbor, helpline, perhaps your psychiatrist or regular doc, online chats and forums etc

It’s not easy to find resources, what have you tried besides this employment agency?
divine1966 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote