View Single Post
SarahSweden
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Jun 2014
219 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 04, 2023 at 02:08 PM

I agree in how you describe the social workerīs assignment but that only works if youīre in such an employment program only because you donīt have an employment, not because youīre on sick leave or you have medical or social problems or issues.

If my life is a certain way, it wonīt change because the purpose of the program says we should work in a certain way to get employment. My private life and work life goes hand in hand, what happened to me in the past now affects that I donīt work and so on. Itīs impossible to separate those things as Iīm one person as I am, I canīt be someone else when I meet with my social worker to talk employment with her.

That doesnīt mean I expect her to act like a therapist but I need her to listen to all aspects and weigh them in even if itīs not about things like "I need that kind of desk" or "I need that kind of lamp in my office". There are so much more to this than workplace adaptations or what education might be needed to get a certain job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molinit View Post
Okay, I understand the issue better. As divine says, the program’s purpose is to give you extra assistance with a goal of getting and maintaining employment in the future. This means your worker gets an idea of your employment interests and possible capabilities within the context of your illness and facilitates extra training, education and accommodations needed for the best chance of success for the client in maintaining employment. The social worker is not your therapist and their purpose is not to examine your feelings about things occurring in your life. If you need that kind of help you should be finding that through a mental health organization or your doctor.
SarahSweden is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote