View Single Post
Have Hope
Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2017
3,676 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 07, 2023 at 05:26 AM

Wow - they've now got me under lock and key in this job. I feel like I've just been hand cuffed and thrown in jail.

Now, every single recommendation I make to improve the performance of their website has to go through 4-5 people for review and approvals, including every single tweak I make to improve page performance. My creativity and skills are now being completely squashed, and I am suddenly very concerned that I cannot be successful in this role.

On top of that, my own boss, with whom I've really enjoyed working for the last 3 months, did something very strange yesterday. We had our 1:1 weekly touch base call yesterday. She did not mention any of the above issues in this call or any of the feedback I've received from her boss as I've described above. We talked for about 45 mins and it was a positive call.

However, AFTER we had hung up, she began to type out some coaching advice on instant messenger for the next 40 minutes. She spelled out in writing that in order to succeed in the company, I must be collaborative and humble, that I must work with people on my initiatives and not tell people what to do. She said it's a team environment with many different people's opinions involved, and that I must (essentially) be a team player. That was the general gist of her messages.

This was all done in writing. What I felt was ODD was WHY didn't she say all this to me in our video call while she had me on the phone for our weekly touch base meeting? Was it done on purpose in writing to begin to document and create a paper trail on my work? Are they trying to build a case to fire me? Already? JUST after they have hired me on full time?

Also, she and her boss visited HR last Friday, after my 1:1 meeting with her boss. WHY did they go to HR? Were they trying to see if they could retract my full time job offer?

I am very suspicious right now and I am not getting a good feeling about this. My alerts are up, and my gut is telling me something is off and something is wrong.

And that's exactly how I felt after my meeting with my boss's boss last Thursday. After that meeting, I felt like she wanted me to leave the company, or be let go. I did not feel welcome by the company after that meeting. This is the same week that my full time job offer was solidified.

I asked my boss in reply a question - I said, the feedback I've been given over the last 3 months has all been very positive, until the implementation snafoo that occurred recently, and that this feedback now makes me think my approach has been all wrong, when everything was so positive. I told her that it's a bit confusing. Now, I am being told that I must be a team player, I cannot tell people what to do, and that I must be humble. So does this mean that all this time I've been receiving positive feedback, that I've come across as though I am arrogant, telling people what to do, and not acting like a team player?

I am going to ask my boss to meet with me again about this conversation. I need clarity. I want her to give me examples of times that I have not acted like a team player and examples of me telling people what to do. If that is the case, then why didn't this come up sooner as being an issue? Why, up until now, has all the feedback been so positive and the opposite? And WHY did they JUST give me a full time job offer IF this is how they really feel about me???????

I am seriously scratching my head. I think there may be a lot of dysfunction going on here that I am now just starting to see. This is what my gut tells me.

Oh man, I may not even last a year in this job. Already I want to leave. And I thought initially that I had landed the BEST job of my life!!!

~4 Non Blondes
Have Hope is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Samicat