View Single Post
Knickerbocker

Member Since Sep 2023
Default Nov 11, 2023 at 08:50 PM

I was on Sertraline for over ten years and it helped me a great deal in coping with everyday anxiety, but I also noticed that it made me okay with things that were not okay. For example, I made some rather dubious life choices while on sertraline and just did not give them the proper gravity because my emotions were dulled. I also put up with some truly awful behavior from toxic people around me and was very complacent in dealing with things like planning for the future. I really noticed the difference because I had to go off it/adjust doses a couple of times.

I got off it completely about a year and half ago and I am truly appalled at a lot of the things I did/didn't do. I've done some pretty serious damage to my life because I was too comfortable in situations that should have made me uncomfortable. I was too happy to go with the flow when I should have been being proactive.

I'm not saying that I didn't need it at times because it certainly helped in some cases and probably saved me from suicide at one point, but I wonder if long term use is always the best idea. I feel like a more tempered approach would have benefited me so much more. Sometimes we need to be uncomfortable with a situation so we can act to change it.

I'd love to hear if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

Thanks for this!
Discombobulated