View Single Post
Knickerbocker

Member Since Sep 2023
Default Nov 11, 2023 at 09:11 PM

As I've posted elsewhere, I am currently stuck with my narcissistic abusive father. Fortunately, I've become largely immune to the abusive side of his nature as I now recognize it when it's happening. One area that still gets to me is just how toxic he is to be around. Everything from an e-mail to a phone call to a letter is something that he expects me to talk him/calm him through. Catastrophe is his default for even simple setbacks. The world is out to get him at every turn. He runs down every ache and pain and is sure it's cancer or some other terminal illness.

I've realized that this has been my life since I was 13, but now that I'm getting healthier, I can't stand the crazy anymore. Talking to him is not an option as any hint of criticism results in a weepy, self-pitying threat of suicide followed by blaming me for anything I've ever done wrong.

Does anyone have any tips for coping/protecting my own health in this situation? Meditation and music help. Focusing on the future and getting out works as well, but some days it just drains me and I end up in bed all day. I really am working on getting out.

Hugs from:
Discombobulated, eskielover, nonightowl, TheGal