View Single Post
LonesomeTonight
Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 13, 2023 at 02:45 PM

I would have felt gaslit as well. It seems like she's trying to change the facts now. Even if she thought she'd offered them to you, she could have given you the benefit of the doubt. Or said something like, "I'm so sorry you didn't feel heard in what you wanted from me. Maybe I wasn't clear in offering them or I'm remembering incorrectly. How can I make it up to you?" But instead, it sounds like she's just being defensive and putting the blame on you.

It reminds me of when I had the final rupture with my former marriage counselor, where it seemed he was trying to rewrite history with comments like, "I've always been very clear and consistent in my boundaries." When, no he wasn't! That was a huge part of what was so painful for me--feeling gaslit by him. So I understand.

And yes, I agree with your interpretation. It could be that she *thought* she offered something when she didn't or that she was unclear about it. But she seems to be insisting that she's right and you're wrong. Rather than considering that she wasn't clear, that there was a miscommunication (where maybe she could have confirmed that you didn't want an online session, for example), etc. And it sounds like she just didn't respond to your earlier emails.

I think your feelings are valid and that you're not being unreasonable. I'm not sure where you go from here, if it's worth talking to her anymore about this or if it will just be hitting a brick wall and cause more pain. I'm sorry... Are you still working with the new T?
LonesomeTonight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
AnaWhitney, East17, retro_chic