Member Since Oct 2004
14.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 18, 2023 at 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felineangel View Post
Your not defective, muddyboots

I remember seeing somewhere and I forget where, a thing that said "be yourself, as everyone else is already taken" something along those lines
I think the term "dysfunctional" is more appropriate than "defective". The thing is we can be ourselves & still learn how to be more functional. Learning skills to be more functional helps us get along better in life & it helps us get along better with others. That is a "win/win".

If we just "be ourselves" without caring how we function with others we tend to hurt them with our dysfunction & that is not good. I grew up with the hurts of my dysfunctional parents "being themselves" & I lived way too long in a marriage with a dysfunctional husband that left many hurts I am still having to legally deal with.

We need to be ourselves within a functional framework & sometimes that is hard because when we grow up & live around dysfunction, it becomes what we preceive as normal when in reality it isn't. The wonderful thing is that there is therapy that
exists that can help us work on these issues.

Leo's favorite place was in the passenger seat of my truck. We went everywhere together like this.
Leo my soulmate will live in my heart FOREVER Nov 1, 2002 - Dec 16, 2018
eskielover is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
mar dhea

Thanks for this!
felineangel, mar dhea