Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Jun 2013
14.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 20, 2023 at 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WastingAsparagus View Post
This actually really helped me to read that you've had a similar experience to mine. I am wanting to break up with my girlfriend right now, and I know it would destroy things. Reading your post made me rethink things.
Thank you I’m glad to hear that! Yeah it’s good to work on learning not to act on every impulse. Unless there’s a valid reason for it and if your emotions aren’t getting in the way of making a rational decision. I think the best advice I could give is to sleep on decisions. Maybe for a couple weeks. And if you still feel the same way talk to someone unbiased about it like a therapist and see what they say. Basically don’t rush to make decisions you’ll end up regretting. Cause I used to do that a lot. Break up just because I impulsively get overwhelmed and think the stress in my life is caused by my relationship. I know it probably wasn’t easy to be in a relationship with me in the past , I know I broke up with boyfriends randomly then regretted it and got back together and repeat etc. it’s hard for the other person to deal with as much as it is hard for me and others with these tendencies. So try to be 100% sure about any decisions, and learn to ride out emotions and impulses. Usually at least in my case when I feel that way usually it’s stress in other areas of my life that make me feel overwhelmed and not really the relationship but I end up deciding it’s the relationship and do something stupid like impulsively break up to deal with it. And it’s not a good feeling. I haven’t done it in this relationship, I did impulsively break up with him once when we first started dating again. But since then , I haven’t. And it’s been almost 8 months. It hasn’t been easy. But it’s gotten better. I have less impulses to break up lately even when dealing with stress.

Thanks for this!
WastingAsparagus