Have Hope
Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2017
3,644 hugs
given
Default Nov 26, 2023 at 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samicat View Post
So sorry you are going through this. The book I recommended was _Anxious People_ by Frederik Backman. There are a few movies and TV shows of his work as well. My husband and I started to watch Anxious People on Netflix but we didn't finish because I wanted to read the book first. There is a movie called A Man Named Otto, with Tom Hanks, based on FB's book _A Man Called Ove_. There's also a show called Beartown that I think is on Prime or possibly Crave.

I was in a bad mood when I started the book _Anxious People_ and it's so good that it actually lifted my mood for days. I haven't finished it yet, only because I'm reading a few other books too (nonfiction). I'm stretching it out.

Somehow Backman's work is deeply compassionate and has a gentle humour to it. Yet he also manages to put in social critique.

I also highly recommend Matt Haig, especially _Humans_ and _The Midnight Library_. Matt Haig's work usually has a Fantasy or SF element although is considered mainstream fiction I think.

Reading is one of the activities recommended to build a Cognitive Reserve which is supposed to improve neuroplasticity and emotional resilience. I watched a video with Dr. Tracey Marks (a psychiatrist) on Youtube about this. Other such activities include meditation, learning a new language or a musical instrument, and socializing.

Have you considered AA? I think it is very good. My uncle was in it. If you want to avoid drinking, it's good to build a community of people who don't drink.
Thank you @Samicat.

I am so overwhelmed by all of this.

I now need to come up with a reason why I have to take public transportation to and from work for the next 6 weeks to my boss. She will know that my car is not in the parking garage because I always parked in the same exact spot every morning.

I may order a book or two, but it may be a self help book to start with, about narcissism. I feel like I should work on my healing more from narcissistic abuse.

I don't want to go to AA. I am not an alcoholic. I don't need to drink to get through the day and I don't need to drink to have fun. I haven't touched any alcohol since the incident, even though I have beer in my fridge.

~4 Non Blondes

Last edited by Have Hope; Nov 26, 2023 at 05:05 AM..
Have Hope is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote