View Single Post
MuddyBoots
Monster on the Hill

Member Since Sep 2020
5,028 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 26, 2023 at 09:40 AM

You don't necessarily need to label yourself an "alcoholic" to go to AA. The only thing that qualifies you as an AA member is the desire to stop drinking. There's also SMART and other free support groups (although if you want to build a community of people who don't drink, make sure you do not get close to people early in their recovery, especially those who are hardcore addicts). If you have money and/or insurance individual therapy/counseling may be of help
If the narcissistic abuse is the reason you feel the need to self-medicate, maybe joining a group for trauma survivors (NOT victims) (maybe even (C)PTSD communities even if you don't have the disorder/diagnosis)? This could be irl or online. There are plenty of groups online with a lot of relatable, helpful words of encouragement and advice (and there are some, I'm thinking of one I look at on FB for something else that's closely related, that just provide comedic relief).

I know the situation sucks, but it could've turned out a lot worse so I'm glad for everyone's sake it didn't, and I say that with love and no judgement.

Hugs from:
Have Hope

Thanks for this!
Have Hope, Samicat