Have Hope
Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2017
3,643 hugs
given
Default Nov 26, 2023 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyBoots View Post
You don't necessarily need to label yourself an "alcoholic" to go to AA. The only thing that qualifies you as an AA member is the desire to stop drinking. There's also SMART and other free support groups (although if you want to build a community of people who don't drink, make sure you do not get close to people early in their recovery, especially those who are hardcore addicts). If you have money and/or insurance individual therapy/counseling may be of help
If the narcissistic abuse is the reason you feel the need to self-medicate, maybe joining a group for trauma survivors (NOT victims) (maybe even (C)PTSD communities even if you don't have the disorder/diagnosis)? This could be irl or online. There are plenty of groups online with a lot of relatable, helpful words of encouragement and advice (and there are some, I'm thinking of one I look at on FB for something else that's closely related, that just provide comedic relief).

I know the situation sucks, but it could've turned out a lot worse so I'm glad for everyone's sake it didn't, and I say that with love and no judgement.
Thank you for your thoughts and support. I appreciate the lack of judgement!

So I thought at AA you have to state that you are an alcoholic?

As I stated above, I am not going to join AA. I am not an addict. I do not need or crave alcohol, I have only just abused alcohol. There's a difference.

What I do want to do is to eventually, when I get my license back, join a couple of outdoor activity groups. I want to start leading a healthier lifestyle and I want to meet healthier types of friends. My music scene is a big party scene, and I need to branch away from it and expand my social life.

In the meantime, I will start walking everywhere and I will start exercising again, and I may pick up a book or two to read.

I have tried narc abuse support groups and they're not for me. Same with therapy. I don't need one and in my experience, most therapists are terrible.

I will do just fine with self help books. That's the direction I think I wish to take.

~4 Non Blondes
Have Hope is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote