MuddyBoots
Monster on the Hill

Member Since Sep 2020
5,237 hugs
given
Default Nov 26, 2023 at 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Hope View Post
Thank you for your thoughts and support. I appreciate the lack of judgement!

So I thought at AA you have to state that you are an alcoholic?

As I stated above, I am not going to join AA. I am not an addict. I do not need or crave alcohol, I have only just abused alcohol. There's a difference.

What I do want to do is to eventually, when I get my license back, join a couple of outdoor activity groups. I want to start leading a healthier lifestyle and I want to meet healthier types of friends. My music scene is a big party scene, and I need to branch away from it and expand my social life.

In the meantime, I will start walking everywhere and I will start exercising again, and I may pick up a book or two to read.

I have tried narc abuse support groups and they're not for me. Same with therapy. I don't need one and in my experience, most therapists are terrible.

I will do just fine with self help books. That's the direction I think I wish to take.

That's cool. A good book I've been recommended is Pete Walker's From Surviving to Thriving. I haven't read it yet, and I think it's more so for childhood trauma so if your stuff's from past the development stages some/a lot might be irrelevant, but from the description and reviews it discusses how to manage self-sabotaging behaviors like drinking that result from long-term abuse as well as a lot of stuff that's similar amongst all abuse survivors.

Thanks for this!
Have Hope