View Single Post
LonesomeTonight
Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 27, 2023 at 04:39 PM

So, I've some good ones and not so good ones. More good than bad, but I also figured out what I'm looking for. And I tend to have a good or bad feeling for people when I first meet them.

I think it's important to know what you're looking for, which might only happen after seeing a few and finding they're not the right fit. Your partner is likely in a better place now to figure that out, knowing what they *don't* want.

I find it can help to see what they have on their profile, whether Psychology Today, their practice website, etc. But you can't really know until you talk to them. Many therapists offer a free 15-minute consultation, so maybe that's something your partner could try? And they should ask questions, about what methods they use (so, no drumming/vocal noises), whether they let the client determine when they're ready to end therapy (thinking of the one who said he didn't need more therapy), even how often they generally have to cancel sessions (and whether they are usually able to make them up). How long they generally see clients for--do they have clients they've seen for years, or do they generally do shorter-term therapy? Or email the questions, if that's an option.

Talk about what they want out of therapy and what sort of approach does or doesn't help them, if they have an idea. Like do they want someone who will ask questions? Or let the client lead? Someone who will push them? Or who will let the client set the goals? Etc.
LonesomeTonight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote