View Single Post
Rose76
Legendary

Member Since Mar 2011
5,391 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 02, 2023 at 04:42 PM

Thanks for your post, @will19. I think maybe members like to help problem solve. When a thread is about a specific situation, it's easier to offer suggestions. If the O.P. discusses an interpersonal conflict, it gives responders something specific to analyse and make predictions about and recommend approaches to. When a person posts that they feel miserable, that can be too broad a condition to address. Every few months, I'm back in the same psychological pit. Hearing about if gets old. I learned years ago not to complain to family about being depressed. "There she goes again." would be their response.

I do come from a decent family. If I suddenly needed a thousand dollars, I could get it immediately. Relatives like knowing there's something specific they can do to help. Plus, I'm materially independent and seldom ask anyone to do anything for me. Also, I pay back loans and look to return favors. So there are those I can call upon, if I need some specific help. But I know not to bother anyone with talk about feeling depressed. They'll say, "Oh, you just do that to yourself." or "You just dwell on negative stuff." or "Going in an out of these upsets is the story of your life." So I learned that, when others ask, "How are you?", the socially appropriate response is, "Fine, thanks. How are you?"

With me, a tendency toward depression is a chronic problem. I think it's a turn-off to hear of someone having the same problem over and over. On a website like this, there are many who have a mental health issue that is chronic. I like to think that other depressives can be understanding. Or maybe they are so discouraged themselves that they have nothing encouraging to say.

I've also gotten the impression that this website used to be more active. I do see a lot of threads started that seem to sit quite a while without drawing much response. There seems to be a core group of longstanding members who do a lot of the posting. Often, newcomers seem to not stay very long.

In between episodes of depression, I feel pretty good and live sensibly. But each episode brings me fear that it might not end. Maybe that's not a pattern that many others recognize. It's my pattern. During an episode, I'm like an animal with a foot caught in a trap. I'm frantic to get free. I want others to tell me that this won't last. I want someone to say, "You'll get over this because you always do get over and recover."
Rose76 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
will19

Thanks for this!
will19