Monster on the Hill

Member Since Sep 2020
5,133 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 06, 2023 at 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Eyes View Post
@Travelinglady there is a good very informative documentary that I recently happened across on YouTube called “Wasted”. This documentary explains the science behind alcoholism and how certain individuals are prone to developing a problem. They discovered these individual have fewer dopamine receptors in their brains and yes that’s hereditary. They now have medications that are very affective at stopping the cravings and that can help someone finally stay sober and live a healthier life.

It’s the best documentary I have seen so it’s worth searching for it to watch.

It’s called “ wasted” and it’s directed by Maureen Palmer.
Can I just say I've tried a couple of those medications and they kinda suck? Naltrexone didn't help me with the cravings it just prevented me from getting drunk/high (opiates) which made me not want to take it, which made me not take it because I was freaking miserable. And Antabuse made me sick if I encountered, say, hand sanitizer or rubbing alcohol or used mouthwash.

[That being said I'm being forced to take Naltrexone as of tomorrow since I drank ONCE recently because it does effectively prevent use of certain substances (someone will literally deliver it to my house every day and watch me take it). I just know my depression is going to increase significantly until I no longer need it as A) that's a side effect B) Losing a coping skill and C) withdrawals (won't get acute withdrawals but do have PAWS).]

/end rant

Hugs from:
Bill3, Open Eyes

Thanks for this!
Bill3, Travelinglady