Tart Cherry Jam
Magnate

Member Since Mar 2021
1,205 hugs
given
Default Dec 14, 2023 at 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 185329 View Post
Yeah, I haven't tried that drug. I think I am a pretty median weight person. If anything, the olanzapine helped me reach a more normal BMI; before the Zyprexa, I was borderline underweight. Now I'm about 185-190lbs at about 6'3", which puts my BMI right around 25.

Anyway, it would seem to me that Lybalvi would be rather expensive. I'm not too sure how much samidorphan would cost on its own, however. But $324.09 for a thirty-day supply (and this was back in the late nineties) seems to be very lucrative for Eli Lilly. I was surprised that it was more expensive than Clozaril.

I surmise the reason for this is that in retrospect, besides Seroquel, olanzapine was the newest antipsychotic.
You need to read up on patents, expiration of patents, and generics. Then you will understand why new drugs are expensive and why later they become cheap. Clozaril, the first atypical antipsychotic historicalaly, is much, much older than Zyprexa. Clozaril is older by decades. So of course when Zyprexa was the new kid on the block, Clozapine was probably alreaydy off patent and generics are cheap. Now you can buy generic olanzapine but there is no generic for Lybalvi which was approved, if my memory does not fail me, in 2021.

Geodon 40 mg
Seroquel 75 mg
Lybalvi 5 mg as a PRN

Gabapentin 1200 mg, Vitamin B-complex (against extrapyramidal side effects)

Long term side effects from medications some of them discontinued:
- hypothyroidism
- obesity

Suspected narcolepsy

Treated with Ritalin 5mg
Tart Cherry Jam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote