View Single Post
rechu
Magnate

Member Since Apr 2016
1,043 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 18, 2023 at 11:05 AM

Thanks, I will ask about gabapentin before we have to go through this again. I'm really at my wits' end. I had been pretty sure he would behave better at home because the last time that vet vaccinated him here, he was fine.

Poor Helmut, I just hate that vet visits are so stressful for him and I can't explain to him that they are for his own good.

I'm a bit nervous again, because we are planning a vacation for early March. We would like to send them to the dog hotel. He went once with Jade and did okay - and that place was a vet clinic that also offered boarding. He even let the groomer give him a bath. The last time was when we were moving houses we boarded both him and Bruni there while we wrapped up the move. They had to share a larger kennel because there weren't two kennels available. Apparently they got kind of crazy because they were very young at that point, with a lot of energy. But, they were otherwise okay. The last time we went away was right before COVID and a friend stayed at the house with them. We were going to try and take a trip soon t after the near-eternal restrictions here were lifted, but we ended up both getting sick!

So, they are both kind of out of practice with being boarded. I just hope his behavior at the vet doesn't translate into issues at the dog hotel. There are a few places around here that just offer boarding. I'm thinking that would be the best bet. My friend used one, but it belongs to the vet Helmut bit before his neuter. I'm not sure how on-hands the vet is at the hotel. He still has his clinic in the capital, so he probably has someone managing the hotel when he's not around. I should ask my friend if she knows. I don't think Helmut would appreciate running into the vet that neutered him, especially with clinic smell!

I really think that the really strict pandemic restrictions did a disservice to both dogs. They got so used to just being at home with us all the time. My husband is hybrid at work now, and they get so sad on days he goes to the office.

The case where the vet gave dog vaccines to people happened before we had vaccines available here. I guess they thought they were getting ahead of the curve!
rechu is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Travelinglady