View Single Post
GeneralRelative

Member Since Dec 2023
1 hugs
given
Default Dec 20, 2023 at 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandalouise View Post
showing signs of psychosis is part of many mental disorders including those you mentioned in your post - depression, personality disorders, being autistic, anxious.

psychosis is not just about having hallucinations. but I notice in your post you stated -

"The closest thing to hallucinations I have are that I sometimes misidentify objects in my peripheral as people or other living things as bugs, but when I go to look at them I can quickly see its just a vaguely person- or bug-shaped object. I also tend to have waking dreams if I get woken up during certain phases of my sleep cycle, but those stop after I've fully woken up."

yes those things now qualify as actually having hallucinations. if you at any point stated this to the therapist or your files stated this about you then yes the moment you lost eye contact and appeared to look disconnected as if seeing something that wasnt really there about objects around you, thats why she diagnosed you with showing psychosis.

psychosis isnt just having a major hallucination or major delusion. its also things like misidentifying real people and objects for things they cant possibly be.

this can happen with just about every mental disorder out there. even what she diagnosed you with - depression. thats why psychosis is now a "specifier" with most mental disorders. the diagnosing treatment provider must state whether or not they have noticed things like blank staring, misidentifying objects and people around them, speech and language problems and more.

my suggestion is not to worry about what your problems are called, instead focus on what the treatment plans are and in time either the problems will clear up or be diagnosed as something different.
It's more like paranoid, reflexive assumptions made instinctively before I've gotten detailed sensory input because the object is not in clear view due to lighting conditions or ocular defects. I'm talking about seeing something like a chair with a blanket draped over the back in the corner of my eye and thinking its a person hunched over, or seeing a dirty spot on the carpet and thinking its a roach. Or like one time I brought my bike into my bedroom and leaned it against a cardboard box and went to sleep. Then woke up in the dark and looked at it without my glasses on so it was all blurry and dark. and still not completely awake yet, I thought it was a bear and I screamed, until the adrenaline fully woke me up and I rationalized that it was physically impossible for a bear to be in my bedroom, at which point I realized what had happened and I felt safe and calmed down, and felt really foolish. But you're saying that is still considered a clinically significant hallucination?
GeneralRelative is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
LonesomeTonight