Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2009
885 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 20, 2023 at 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralRelative View Post
It's more like paranoid, reflexive assumptions made instinctively before I've gotten detailed sensory input because the object is not in clear view due to lighting conditions or ocular defects. I'm talking about seeing something like a chair with a blanket draped over the back in the corner of my eye and thinking its a person hunched over, or seeing a dirty spot on the carpet and thinking its a roach. Or like one time I brought my bike into my bedroom and leaned it against a cardboard box and went to sleep. Then woke up in the dark and looked at it without my glasses on so it was all blurry and dark. and still not completely awake yet, I thought it was a bear and I screamed, until the adrenaline fully woke me up and I rationalized that it was physically impossible for a bear to be in my bedroom, at which point I realized what had happened and I felt safe and calmed down, and felt really foolish. But you're saying that is still considered a clinically significant hallucination?
yes since march 2022 what you are describing is considered having visual /cognitive hallucinations.

as for you asking if what you described is clinically significant....

I cant tell you whether the diagnosing treatment provider and the assessment they did considered what you told them and did was considered clinically significant, only they can do that.

what I can tell you is that...

In diagnostic evaluations, everything the client says and does is taken into consideration as significant (important) along with the special assessment questioning done either orally or written or computerized questionnaires to determine the severity and how it affects the client.

examples of severity in general are things like...

how often it happens?
When does it happen?
is there a pattern?
what does a person do about it when it happens?
how does the person feel about it before during and after the hallucinations?
what are the clients medications, health issues, stressors?

and more.

there is alot that goes into determining severity and using severity scales for assessments. and it all depends upon what the client is saying, doing and so on.

for me with my treatment providers my visual hallucinations are not significant and not related to any of my mental and physical health issues.

my daughter on the other hand our family's treatment providers do consider her hallucinations to be clinically significant due to her scoring on the severity scales, content of the hallucinations, how they affect her life, the cause and so forth.

only you and your treatment providers can determine the severity of your hallucinations on the severity scales and whether they are considered clinically significant and related to your diagnosis. and according to your post they do think its significant and part of your depression diagnosis. otherwise, they wouldn't have diagnosed you with showing signs of psychosis.

if you do not agree with their assessment and diagnosis you will need to take it up with your treatment provider, they can explain how and why you are diagnosed the way you are.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
GeneralRelative