Thread: Therapist Care
View Single Post
comrademoomoo
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Feb 2019
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 21, 2023 at 08:41 AM

I agree with LT that it is normal to want someone to care about you, especially if they are significant to you. I also think it is really important that she asks you about it so you can understand the meaning behind "care" and also the pain of uncare. The fact that you were frustrated and had a hard time is an indication that it's an important area for you and that there is lots to process.

Whilst it is normal to want others to care, it isn't a universal feeling. People can also reject care for a variety of reasons, or be unaware of the process of caring. A client might want a therapist to care because they have never experienced care and don't know how to receive or give care; a client might want care because it feels life-threatening to not be cared about due to trauma; a client might expect care because they are paying; a client might want a therapist to care because no one else in their life cares about them. The importance of care will be different depending on our individual processes. I can really relate to finding it hard to articulate the importance of something, especially if we haven't thought about it before and don't really have the language for it.
comrademoomoo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
LonesomeTonight, wheeler