View Single Post
nonightowl
Desert Kitty hates titles

Member Since Jul 2008
6,892 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Angry Dec 23, 2023 at 05:24 PM

I've been getting a lot of texts posing as delivery companies or as banks. There's also an uptick at this time of the year. I read scammers are changing tactics and using texts/emails instead of phone calls because allegedly the carriers are on to them more regarding calls.

Still, they find a way.....Caller ID can easily be spoofed, showing the real number of a business so you think (they hope) it's actually them calling. Also email addresses and text codes can be spoofed too. I trust nothing and click on nothing.

They also pose as other legit companies like Netflix, Amazon, Apple, etc. I got one saying there's a problem with my Netflix account. I don't have Netflix. I know that doesn't matter; they send out billions of these knowing that a lot of people do. And hope that even a few respond.

Gift cards bought at stores are iffy now, because thieves are collecting the bar code and PIN, then put the card back on the shelf! They then wait for someone to purchase the card. Some kind of special software alerts them but I don't know what. Then they drain the card. When the person who received it tries to use it, it has no balance! They tell people to make sure the card hasn't been tampered with or just get ones behind the cashier's counter.

Hmmm....looks like some good tips in here.

"Okay, enough photos. I'm a very BUSY Business Kitty, so make an appointment next time."
nonightowl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
FloatThruThis

Thanks for this!
FloatThruThis