View Single Post
Soupe du jour
Elder

Member Since Jun 2015
13.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 26, 2023 at 05:45 AM

I can certainly see it, for some. I've read that low doses can be equally, if not more, sedating than high doses. Low ones good for sleep aid, higher better moodstabilizers. In my view, the sedation itself could be causing hunger and/or a psychomotor slowing, especially for those prone to a "hangover" effect. My guess is when a person feels sleepy but needs to stay awake, the munchies are a common form of "self-medication", that doesn't always work.. And/or with any psychomotor slowing, you might burn fewer calories over a period of time, just as a lounge lizard would compared to a busybody. Then, there might be some level of metabolic effects. Putting aside a few, we know if a person's metabolism slows, then calorie burn slows.Other metabolic effects may be caused by weight gain, or possibly separate? I don't know for sure.

I take 600 mg Seroquel XR (extended release) along with a low 50 mg dose of Seroquel IR. My XR is another moodstabilizer in my mix, while the IR helps me fall asleep. My hunger actually increased at night when the 50 mg of IR was added. I blame the rapid and high "spike" in sedation, and possibly something else going on. Though I wouldn't exactly call XR "weight neutral", it's certainly not the worst antipsychotic I've taken, in this respect.

On October 28th, I was 7.2 lbs (3.25 kg) heavier than I am now. So, I lost some weight on my current doses. I upped my exercise a lot, and had more energy, in general. Also, my appetite reduced a little. I was also watching my evening snacking. I won't totally deprive myself, when hungry, but I try to pick "lesser evils" of snacks. That helps.

Psych Medications:
* Tegretol XR (carbamazepine ER) 800 mg
* Lamictal (lamotrigine) 150 mg
* Seroquel XR (quetiapine ER) 600 mg

I also take meds for blood pressure, cholesterol, and tachycardia.
Soupe du jour is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote