rechu
Magnate

Member Since Apr 2016
1,059 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 26, 2023 at 06:31 AM

This country loves its scams.

I've gotten the package ones, supposedly from the national mail service, Correos Chile. At least, packages being stolen isn't a problem here because we have controlled access with security guards. They can receive packages if we're not home.However, there's another neighborhood just down the road and once a package was left there by accident. That problem was resolved, at least.

Here, calling and impersonating a family member in trouble has existed for years. It's called the "cuento del tío" (uncle story). Someone tried something like that with me once, saying that someone was in a car accident, and they were calling my number because they found it in the glove compartment. No one has my phone number in their glove compartment, and my husband had called me recently to let me know he had arrived at work. I hung up.Supposedly, a lot of those calls are from prisoners who are working with someone outside who actually goes to collect money. There's a whole cottage industry, I guess you could say, of people that throw cell phones, drugs, etc. over prison walls. I called the police about that case, but all they said was that I did the right thing by hanging up and that it was probably a burner phone that won't be used again. So, reporting the number would do nothing.

I've gotten texts about supposed problems with my bank account - always banks where I've never had an account.

I 'm constantly blocking phone numbers on my phone.
rechu is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Discombobulated, FloatThruThis, nonightowl

Thanks for this!
FloatThruThis, nonightowl