divine1966
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2014
1,294 hugs
given
Default Jan 04, 2024 at 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tart Cherry Jam View Post
@Have Hope Divine has explained many times the scope of disability vocational services. And no, in general it would be very odd to expect that such services be limited to those who receive SSDI. For one, SSDI is very hard to get in terms of medical qualification. For another, SSDI, the I in it, is insurance and is generally available to those who have paid into the system by working a minimum of 40 periods which equals 10 years albeit not consecutively. You are essentially saying that vocational disability services are available only to those who have already worked a minimum of 10 years. It is an absurd proposition.

ADA mandates a variety of disability services on campus, too, and they do not depend at all on the receipt of SSDI and have much laxer criteria. Don't you know that?

I am surprised you nonchalantly question the advice that Divine has been continuously providing while you know that she works for vocational disability services and knows what she is talking about. But maybe you have not read countless posts on Jesyka's threads.

What you are saying, for jesyka to gain financial independence from her husband, is wistful thinking. Again, have you read those countless posts that paint the complete picture?
Thank you for a good explanation Tart.

Just to clarify (and it’s not your fault, I simply prefer to be rather private to avoid degrading comments that I sometimes receive in regards to my career) that I do not directly work for vocational services but I work in conjunction with them as referring people to them and monitor etc I meet with them regularly. Next meeting with vocational rehab services I have this upcoming Wednesday. I know what they do and what they don’t do. Working with them is in my job description.

In addition my own husband used their service before and he has never been on a disability a day of his life but he simply has a disability. And no he doesn’t have autism. It’s not required. He has OCD and Tourette’s, it’s considered a disability in my state

Hugs from:
Tart Cherry Jam

Thanks for this!
Tart Cherry Jam