divine1966
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2014
1,280 hugs
given
Default Jan 16, 2024 at 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose76 View Post
@eskielover - I'm glad you found recovery. Sometimes the right support comes along when its needed. I think there is great variation especially in the level of competence among psychologists and other providers. I saw a psychologist at one community clinic. He told me he was opposed to the "medicalization of problems of living." That resonated with me. Then he asked me if I had considered that I might have Asperger's. I thought that was barking up a wrong tree. Around that same time one psychiatrist told me he had suddenly decided I was bipolar. A few years later, another pdoc at a program I was in said she suspected I was an alcoholic in denial. My peers in that day program told me they believed me that I wasn't. They said that doctor seemed to have gotten annoyed with me. What diagnosis you get can depend upon how a professional reacts to you emotionally. For me to get such different diagnoses convinced me that professionals in mental health really are not all that scientific. The pdoc who thought I was alcoholic, which I wasn't, later decided I had Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Peers told me I came across as opinionated, which they said was rubbing this doctor the wrong way. I later attended a support group moderated by a therapist who said that, if a provider judges a client to have a personality disorder, it just means that provider dislikes the client. The lack of consistency makes me think it's a big old guessing game. Sometimes, I'ld go further and say a lot of what goes on in the psych world is a farce.
What a shame. They are just randomly saying things without proper diagnostic procedures. How disturbing.

I always thought that to get a proper medical diagnosis there’s a ton of procedures need to be followed, judging by my husband’s experience and seeing it professionally. Reading on this forum changed my perspective that only some people are lucky to receive a proper diagnosis based on data/observations/family’s surveys etc Other people are just told whatever is on psychiatrist’s mind that day. It’s insane to say the least.

Come think of it I do have some examples of pdocs and social workers just saying dumb stuff and randomly spewing diagnoses.

“Person is depressed and needs anti depressants”. “Why?” “They were sitting there crying.” “What??? They were watching very sad movie when you walked by. “ “oh I thought they are crying because they have depression” Big face palm
divine1966 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Discombobulated, eskielover, Rose76