View Single Post
Anonymous43372

Default Jan 16, 2024 at 07:22 PM

Yesterday the firm was open on MLK day. My coworker is a BIPOC so I treated her to lunch. At lunch, she revealed to me that she is starting her life over. This past summer, while living with her fiance, she had a pyschotic break from reality and that caused her to lose her job, lose her fiance, and lose her housing.

Yet when we first met, she told me she had a paralegal job with the state. So, I don't know if that is the job she lost due to her psychotic break, or if she just made it up?

Do I assume my two attorneys know? Do I say anything to them? Or just mind my business? If it is true, my whole attitude towards her has shifted towards more compassion. She said she disagrees with her diagnosis of bipolar with psychotic features.

Obviously, I want to show my support of her as my fellow coworker.

I found a study online that discusses the 5 typesof psychosis:

Delusions
Hallucinations
Disorganized thought
Disorganized behavior
Negative symptoms (don't know what that means)

I don't want to be afraid of her but I have to admit, I'm a little scared. I don't want her to hurt me - like, she hallicinates and thinks I'm someone else or someting else that is trying to harm her.

We sit directly across from each other based on where our cubicles are. So, we essentially sit side by side.

After 12 months of employment, she's eligible for FMLA leave if she has another psychotic break and needs to go inpatient or whatever to help her recover, that protects her from losing her job. I'm not sure why she didn't mention that before.

That's why I want to take what she told me with a grain of salt. I don't know her from Adam. I don't know if what she told me yesterday was true. I assume she would know about FMLA leave but that is me making an assumption. And I know that I shouldn't make assumptions.

Can anyone offer any advice?