View Single Post
TishaBuv
Legendary

Member Since Dec 2014
1,878 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 17, 2024 at 03:47 PM

On the Sanity Score questionnaire they have (used to have?) on here, it asks how often you watch TV, use electronics… and my response always got me a high score as too much with recommendations to use less for better mental health.

When I got together with my husband he always had the TV on. This was prior to internet. Once we had iPhones, he always had on both. Yes, he was able to function to do his daily work, but he was so engrossed in the media watching, he contributed nothing to our personal life. The best times we had were when we were on vacation, interacting personally, unplugged.

For me, it was not good to have to be constantly watching and listening to the TV he was using. I had to be in the same house with it, couldn’t get away from it. Now that I’m without him, I only turn on the TV to watch the specific shows I like to watch. Yes, I watch TV all evening, but leave it off now during the day when I am home. I read books more in quiet, and just really enjoy not having to constantly hear him watching what he did.

It was often movies with lots of explosions going off.

He retired, and it was the pandemic. It was the two of us spending all our time together, not knowing what to do with ourselves. I was the only one who kept saying this wasn’t healthy and suggesting we do other things, or I should do other things. But it was just something that pulled me down into depression and frustration with him for being resigned to this way of life. That is what he wanted.

I was too dependent, couldn’t pull myself out and away while letting him sit there lost within himself and vacant to me. Without him here now, I have to take responsibility for my own actions. There’s no one to blame but myself if I can’t motivate.

That’s my take on what happened that I do allege he has an addiction.

Plus it was so bad for our kids. They grew up with media and video games. They are addicts too. I could go on but don’t want to go there or upset anybody.

Hugs from:
LadyShadow

Thanks for this!
LadyShadow