Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 21, 2024 at 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
Has anyone stayed in touch with their therapist after you terminated? I want to be in a place where I won’t feel the need
We terminated with our former marriage counselor about 6 years ago. I was really attached to him and still reached out to him periodically after termination, including once when I was having an issue with my current T. He was generally kind but brief and somewhat distanced in his replies. And when I was having issues with my T, he said I should just work it out with him.

I eventually just lost the need to reach out to him. Part of that was feeling more of a connection to my T, but I think it just would have gradually faded out had I not been in therapy as well.

It may have had to do with how he replied, too. He did still respond. But if he'd given me more detailed replies (and generally took a couple days) or offered to talk to me or have a session when I had the major conflict with my T, it might have gone differently--I don't know.

My T has said that some T's aren't willing to stay in touch beyond receiving an occasional update from a former client. As there's the chance that if they respond (with more than "thanks for the update!), there could be an implication that they're still the person's therapist and could be liable for their care (even if they're no longer paying them or seeing them regularly). Just commenting on that because some might just say "no contact once we terminate." Or "you can send an update, but I won't reply." That might be combined with "You're welcome to ask to meet for a session or resume therapy."

So it would be good for clients to address this before termination.
LonesomeTonight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
wheeler