75k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 26, 2024 at 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenNoodleSoup View Post
Had a session with my T today. Trigger warning for health stuff
Possible trigger:

He of course wants to continue working. But since it has spread, he apparently has like a 50/50 chance to even survive 5 years, so I'm not sure how that will pan out. He did well, though he said he's not sure how to go about patients like me who have such huge abandonment fears. I might make a post later about some things that I'm currently thinking about asking for advice.
I'm coping okay, I am sad but it's kind of like I already knew for three weeks. It's more hard to see him not doing okay. Though I do think my question about what his favorite food is might have made his day a bit better (for anyone wondering, apparently some people have a soft spot for McDonalds burgers...)

In other news, I have reached out to a potential new T. He already gave me a first appointment to get to know him. I'm a bit intrigued by the "main focus: forensic psychiatry", But he does work with BPD as well as substance use and trauma, is not too far from old T, but far enough to not constantly trigger me. He's a bit younger than T, which makes me feel more at ease about issues, although I of course will still worry. He's been let in on the basics of the story too and what I want from him. I think ideally I'd want to slowly switch, and certainly have them talk at least once.

I'm so sorry your fears were confirmed, CNS. Hugs, if wanted. I'm glad he was relatively open about what's going on.

That's good you've already reached out to a new T--I hope he works out for you. Maybe you could see old T and new T at the same time for a bit? Like you said about slowly switching.

As for his main focus, mine partly has another focus (sports psychology), and he's ultimately worked out for me (despite some bumps in the road). And don't know if you watch Law and Order, but sounds like someone who would consult on there with psych cases, like determining whether someone is competent to stand trial, whether they could be considered not guilty by reason of insanity, etc.

Hugs from:
ChickenNoodleSoup