View Single Post
ChickenNoodleSoup
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Apr 2017
1,306 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 12, 2024 at 06:54 AM

I think you did the right thing by emailing them and stopping to go.

I don't have extensive experiences with different therapists, but here are the things that would bother me, and whether or not it's "okay" for a therapist to do those (some I think are not), if it bothers you, it's fine to move on.
I will say that for your next therapist, it's generally always good to just talk to them and let them know if you are bothered. Like with the printed email, tell them as best you can that that makes you feel unheard and like you can't bring up your things, and if they then react similar to this therapist, it's at least not a good match (and possibly the therapist sucks).

So, for the points that would bother me:

- saying 6 pages of writing is too much and printing it out to show (there might be a policy here about email contact, rather than how much writing. But as for just having to read writing, my T used to have to read about 30 pages a week for me, and my new T said it'd be fine for him to read a 50 page clinical report... some people do better with writing, totally normal)

- having to have your partner come in: not only is that rather special (it's your therapy after all), it also tells me that you didn't feel comfortable to tell the T those things yourself. Not a good sign

- trying to blame something on their dyslexia. If they had that issue, they better tell clients in the first session, because you will get writen journals by lots of them

- they don't sound like they own their part (the oh I guess I could have been more sensitive thing)

- being late

- not having a clear session length (I think it's normal for it to fluctuate a bit, but not 2 hours vs 40 mins constantly)

- your partner does not think the therapist is good (if you trust your partner that is)

- being blamed for stalling

- not being able to talk about different things and saying no to emdr

I think it's very nice and kind of you to let them know you're not going to see them anymore. I think a good therapist would respond to the email. Normally after 2 years, people don't just disappear, and if you didn't even have a real final session, I'd think a therapist would want to have the closure as well and write something back. To me, this just sounds like a therapist who doesn't want to or know how to do their job. I'm sorry you had to go through this. I hope it works well with the new one!
ChickenNoodleSoup is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
AppleLime

Thanks for this!
AppleLime, LonesomeTonight, unaluna